NPDE: Admission and Scholarships
The selection of students is based on the assessment of the students' background, research potential and an interview.
Applicants are required to have completed a M.Sc. in Economics and/or Finance with a strong quantitative orientation, preferably entirely English-taught (or to complete it by 31 October 2022). Also candidates with a M.Sc. in Mathematics, Physics or Engineering may apply.
Candidates should be fluent in written and spoken English. Although language certifications are not required, they will be considered by the admission committee together with other credentials.
Documents to be submitted
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Two academic reference letters: letters must be sent directly by recommenders (as soon as the candidate inputs information about his/her referee in the online preliminary application form, referees receive an automated e-mail with instructions to submit reference letters via a dedicated online form).
- Official transcript of his/her undergraduate degree and master degree, displaying the overall grade (if applicable),the list of exams taken and their grades. If the master's studies have not been completed before filing the application, a photocopy of the provisional master's transcript will be needed. If the academic transcripts are not written in English, or Italian, the applicant will also have to include the respective sworn translation in English.
- Certificate of good working knowledge of written and spoken English (TOEFL, First Cambridge Certificate, Proficiency in English, IELTS or equivalent). If students have not yet obtained a language certification they can attach a personal letter stating they are able to follow Ph.D. courses taught exclusively in English and they would be willing to be contacted for an interview.
- A Research Proposal (one-page).
- Up to 6 students are admitted to the program each year. Two positions are reserved for non-Italian students (students who are not resident in Italy and graduated abroad). Scholarships of € 15.343,28 each year (net of taxes) are available for at least 5 students (two of whom foreigners). The duration of each scholarship is 4 years, subject to performance. The monthly allowance can be increased up to 50% for students visiting a research institution or University abroad. Starting in the second year, there are also allowances for short-period mobility.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MAECI) offers grants in favor of foreign citizens not residing in Italy and Italian citizens living abroad (IRE) available also for Phd Programmes. Further information on the application requirements can be found on the webpage MAECI Grants and on the platform “Study in Italy”.
The admission procedure requires applicants to file a preliminary application by 15 May 2022 and a formal application (subject to admission at the preliminary stage) after the official call opens.
1. Preliminary Application
- a Curriculum Vitae (mentioning if a Master degree is expected by October 2022);
- two reference letters;
- a one-page research statement on a topic within one of the following research fields: Financial Economics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomic Theory, Economic History, Applied Microeconomics;
- any other documents (such as research papers, Master dissertation, GRE, TOEFL) that may help to assess the candidate's qualifications.
2. Formal Application
Beside the preliminary admission candidates must send a formal application (enclosing all required documents) . The official call is now open!
Promising candidates who have filled in the preliminary admission for the PhD program, will be notified by the coordinator when the official call opens. The formal application has to be sent in due time with all documents indicated in the official call and represents the only way to be considered by the admission committee. Submission deadline: 19 July 2022, 15:00 CET.
For more information on the formal admission procedure please click here.
PhD Final Rankings
The final rankings of PhD candidates are reported in the documents linked below: